Sunday, January 28, 2007

Do I want to be famous?

I was just reading about the 2007 Blog awards, I forget what exactly they're called. It doesn't matter. The important thing is that I want to be in them next year.

How, you may ask? I have no clue. What does one need to do to have a good blog? Indeed, what does one need to do to get people to read his or her blog?

Well, I could write about things, and stuff. Real things, maybe, instead of my dynasty or whatever. I fancy myself as a future sportswriter, so doing that would certainly be an idea (and maybe I will).

But the thing is, do I really want to have readers? Do I really want this blog to be good?

I don't know, is the answer to that question.

The premise sounds good, sure. Get lots of popularity, if you could call it that, maybe make a bit of cash on the side, stuff like that. But what good would come of being famous on the internet?

People stalking you could be a negative possibility. No-one wants that. Except, you know, if you get turned on by that sort of thing. I don't. I'm not telling you what turns me on.

(Not gay!)

But if people know you, how is that good? The whole point of the internet is sort of to have a second life, if you will. Not Second Life itself, that thing's full of weirdos. Like the internet. But on the internet you're anonymous. No-one knows who you are! You can be who you want to be! That's the point of the whole thing!

The internet is full of, to be honest, nerds and geeks. I would classify myself as one of those. Whichever one is less derogatory of course. People who have real lives which aren't so great - whether it's getting picked on, or not having a very good social life, etc. That's why they come on the Internet! So they can go on forums and post whatever they feel - no-one knows who they really are, and somewhere out there on this big series of tubes will be someone who agrees with them!

So, being famous on the Internet. Think about it for a second. It would take away the one thing that the Internet gives you - anonymity.

It'd be worse than you think.

No comments: